What is corruption?
Corruption is the act of giving or receiving of any gratification or reward in the form of cash or in-kind of high value for performing a task in relation to his/her job description.
An example, a contractor rewards a gift in the form of an expensive watch to a Government official for awarding a project to the company belonging to the contractor.
Four (4) main offences stipulated in the
Malaysian Anti-Corruption Act 2009 (MACC Act 2009) (Act 694) :
- Soliciting/Receiving Gratification (Bribe) [section 16 & 17(a) MACC Act 2009]
- Offering/Giving Gratification (Bribe) [section 17(b) MACC Act 2009]
- Intending to Deceive (False Claim) [Section 18 MACC Act 2009]
- Using Office or Position for Gratification (Bribe) (Abuse of Power/Position) [Section 23 MACC Act 2009]
Failure to Report
Any person who knows and fails to report an act of giving and offering of bribes is committing an offence under Section 25 (1) and (2) of the MACC Act 2009. Section 25 (1) and (2) of the MACC Act 2009
FINE : not exceeding one hundred thousand ringgit; and / or
IMPRISONMENT : Not exceeding 10 years or to both Any person who knows and fails to report an act of soliciting and obtaining of bribes is committing an offence under Section 25 (3) and (4) of the MACC Act 2009 Section 25 (3) and (4) of the MACC Act 2009
FINE : not exceeding ten thousand ringgit; and / or
IMPRISONMENT : Not exceeding 2 years or to both
You Are Protected
The public need not be afraid in combating corruption. The MACC always ensures the confidentiality of the information provided. The WHISTLEBLOWER is protected and the information will not be disclosed to any party under any circumstances.
- A WHISTLEBLOWER is one who informs the relevant authority in his / her view of an act of corruption. Whistleblowers are protected.
- WHISTLEBLOWERS are also protected under the Whistleblower Protection Act 2010 as well as under Section 65 of the MACC Act 2009.
- A WHISTLEBLOWER who has witnessed a corruption activity will be considered as a witness and will be protected under the Witness Protection Act 2009.