The Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Division is a division responsible for conducting investigations under the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Act 2001 (AMLATFPUAA). This division comprise four main branches, namely the AMLA Branch, Operation Target Branch (OTC), Forfeiture of Properties (FOP) Branch as well as the Planning and Coordination Branch (Secretariat).
In addition, this Division cooperates with local and international Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) to facilitate investigations as anti-money laundering investigations are becoming increasingly complex and involve cross-border efforts.
- Manage investigations for offences under AMLATFPUAA 2001
- Manage financial analysis and money trail for an AMLA investigation on cases related to proceeds of corruption
- Manage investigation assistance under AMLA for the Investigation Division/14 MACC State Offices involving freezing/seizure/forfeiture under AMLATFPUAA 2001
- Monitor and provide consultation for investigations under AMLATFPUAA 2001 conducted by the Investigation Division/14 MACC State Offices
- Provide consultation to Investigation Officers on AMLA investigation and gathering of statements for AMLA investigations to ensure compliance with the guideline issued by APG/FATF
- Conduct investigation for AMLA cases with value of offence exceeding RM500,000 as well as for high-profile and public-interest (HPPI) cases
- Provide explanations and information on AMLA investigation to new recruits undergoing training at the Malaysia Anti-Corruption Academy (MACA) and government agencies involved in AMLA investigations.
Operation Target Branch
- Conduct intelligence gathering based on proactive investigation and intelligence-based investigation, particularly involving information verification and interception
- Conduct profiling on target/company/bank account/dossier, checks on Cash Threshold Report (CTR) and Suspicious Transaction Report (STR) Database
- Conducting ground work, such as site visit and verification of offence and target, as well as identifying rules and procedures related to the case
- Financial investigation – Money Trail (Reverse or Forward Tracing) and use of i2 equipment
- Practise meticulousness in analysing statement and evidence procurement to verify its application, whether at the proof of statement stage in court, or other holistic approaches
- Employ Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters Act (MACMA), Mutual Legal Assistance (MLA), bilateral & multilateral arrangement or treaties and best practices, both locally and internationally, in conducting analysis
- Quick response in conducting analysis meticulously and in a timely manner as and when necessary.
Planning and Coordination Branch
- Conduct administrative and secretariat activities for AML Division
- Act as representative (Working Group) in the National Coordination Committee (NCC) of the Central Bank of Malaysia in the anti-money laundering aspect.
- Act as the member of Ultimate Beneficial Owners on behalf of MACC
- Foster cooperation with banking and financial institutions, coordinate reference cases from the Internal Revenue Board (IRB) as well as provide statistics and templates required by the NCC of the Central Bank of Malaysia.
- Conduct Corruption Risk Assessment (CRA) based on AML/CFT perspective
- Manage presentation of cases, typology studies as well as evaluations at the national an international level, such as the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and Asia Pacific Group on Money Laundering (APG)
Forfeiture of Properties (FOP) Branch
- Conduct investigation on forfeiture of property cases to forfeit properties.
- Opening of Investigation Paper (IP) is only made by the Headquarters for value of forfeiture exceeding RM250,000 as well as HPPI cases.
- Prepare Notice of Motion/Notice of Application/Supporting Affidavit and file case in court for forfeiture purposes.
- Manage, maintain and dispose of seized and forfeited properties.
Conduct monitoring and assist in forfeiture of properties at MACC Divisions, State and Branch Offices.
If there is any further inquiry with regard to the functions of this Division, kindly contact the following:
||Supt. Tan Ying Hui